Sunday, February 17, 2013

THE SEXUALIIZTION OF EARLY CHILDHOOD

In today’s society there is no surprise to what is being said or done in the early childhood setting.   I heard one child say to another child can I feel your butt.  She said why you want to feel my butt, he said cause that’s what my daddy does to my mommy, he touches her butt then they go to bed.   I went over to him and I said “D”, I can not tell you what you saw at home but I can tell you that here in the classroom we do not touch others in places they do not want to be touch.  I then reference the conversation back to a lesson we had on good touch bad touch and how we do not want people to touch us in places we call our private places that means.  He said well I saw my daddy do my mom like that.  I bet your father got permission from your mom to do adult things.  He then said so I got to wait until I am big to touch her butt.  I said, I am saying that you have to have permission to touch people’s body anywhere preferably when you get married and become an adult.
The next incident, I recall is a child, a young girl, coming to school in heels.  The little boy asked her why do you have on your momma’s shoes, and she stated that these are my shoes my momma brought me to wear in the pageant and I am practice walking in them.  The child had actually sneaked some of her mother’s shoes out of the house and changed on the bus.  Children are growing up really fast even at the age of five.

This week’s resource taught me how to  “ use what I do in early years to pave the way for staying connected with children when the stakes get higher in adolescence” (So Sexy So Soon, 2009, p. 7).

Reference

Levin, D.E., and Kibourne, J. (2009).  [Introduction].  So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood
                And what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved
                from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction

No comments:

Post a Comment