Sunday, February 10, 2013

EVALUATING IMPACTS ON PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE

The "ism" that I experienced when I was younger was that of the gender.  When I was younger my parents would tell me that girls did this and boys did that.  My parents always made a difference in what boys should be doing and what girls should be doing.  Even though I was considered to be Tom boy my parents still expected me to act like a girl and play with dolls, clean house, and do good in school.  I really liked playing sports, racing cars, and climbing trees.  Those are the things that I had to sneak and do when I my parents were working or during summer breaks when we would stay with a relative while my parents worked. 

If children today were governed by the ideas of girls being able to do this or boys being able to do that based on gender then we would see a lot of rebellious children.   I still see adults try to redirect students as they pick colors that teachers should be classified as girls or boys.  This action is wrong and is a form of gender "ism".  

No comments:

Post a Comment