Saturday, May 12, 2012

MY PERSONAL RESEARCH JOURNAL

Hello everyone!!  My topic that I am interested in is “At what age should you teach phonological awareness?”  I know that we as parents introduce phonics to our babies without being aware of this, because as we talk the child is listening and it becomes a part of repeating what they hear.  But the question that I am asking is when is it necessary to purposely start teaching it.  The reason this is a topic I have interest in is because at my present job, I am constantly in debate with the Education Coordinator at our center about what we should be introducing to our students.  I know that some of my students are on different levels than others and she states that I am pushing them to hard and focusing on things that are not age appropriate when it comes to phonological awareness.  I explain that my theory for my action is because children mature at different levels and I believe that we should encourage growth and help each individual child on his or her level to be successful. 


So with this in mind I feel that if I can show her the research then maybe I can prove my point and then she will understand why I feel the way that I feel.

Erica Hines

2 comments:

  1. Hello Erica,
    Teaching linguistics at a specific age range is debatable. I agree with you that as children do come from different backgrounds, they enter the classroom with different levels of speech development. Phonology, being the sounds and sound patterns of speech are the foundation that will lead to the next phases. It is great that you scaffold and assist individual children transition to the next part of speech, with is lexicon development (words and meanings) when they are ready. I sure do hope that your colleague ends up agreeing with you and your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica,
      You are so on target with you theory. I believe that children do learn at different levels and they should move at their own pace and not at the pace of the adult. Good luck in your research.
      Sandra

      Delete