Saturday, November 26, 2011

CONSEQUENCES OF STRESS ON CHILDREN'S DEVELOPMENT

A stress factor for me as a child was racism.  Growing up in a Small southern town, I had to endure a lot of racism.  I remember being a little girl in elementary school and been told that school was closing early because a fight was going on between the white and black children.  This was stressful for me because as children you don't see the difference, you play with someone because they are your friend not because they look like or different then you.  So as I grew older I realize that Sally and I might have been friends at school but when the school doors closed we were two different people with two different backgrounds.  OUR parents did not support the idea of us being friends because when they were growing up Blacks played with Blacks and Whites played with Whites.  It's funny how racism is something that is learned and people can't understand that if we stop teaching it then it will disappear and then people can be accepted and acknowledge by the content of their character and not their skin. 

In a small town where most of the teachers are not the same color as you are.  Some favoritism is shown.  I know, I experienced it first hand.  I remember having the highest grade in a course but the teacher did not want me to have the award so she marked one of my answers wrong, but me being me knew that my answer was right kept asking the teacher about  the grade. Well after the award ceremony, of course my grade was changed, but it was to late.  She couldn't take the award back from "S" that would be embarrassing and it would be acknowledging that she made a mistake.  SO "S" kept the award and I got a "sorry, everybody makes mistakes sometimes," speech.  Thanks for having parents who always pushed me to be the best that I could be, because they went to the principal, super indent, and the school board members to make sure that I got the award that I worked hard for. 

Dealing with this type of racism has helped me to be a better educator and to make sure that all children feels worthy and capable of doing anything by not showing favoritism but encouraging all students to do their best.

When I think about  my experience with racism, I often wonder how the Jews must have felt when Hitler wanted all people to be blue eyes and blond hair.  Difference makes the world unique and therefore beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. It is sad that you had to go through knowing your grade was higher and someone of a different skin color got the award. My brother almost experience the same thing as a senior in high school. Him and another girl of a different skin color was grades were .10 of a point different. The school tried to let her be val. and him be sal. but my parents were not allowing that. They stayed on the school and he marched val. of his class. It is ashamed that parents are still teaching their children about racism. We need to grow up and start treating people all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica,

    Back then I read a lot of discrimination that was going on during our ancestry time. I saw lot of movies related to discrimanation. All I want to say that you are blessed because back then Blacks got hunged or beated because of their skin color. I am so glad that that is part is done away with. From looking at and hearing of such incidents, my heart pour out to our people because I always said what make Whites better than us. So I am going to leave this with you, you are blessed to be here to tell some of the thing that you encounter while coming up as a child related to racism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Erica

    I agree with you that racism is a stress factor for a young child when blacks had to play with blacks and whites had to play with whites. I know that racism was hard for you because in the southern states there was a lot of racism between the whites and blacks because when you and your friends back then didn’t understand why blacks couldn’t go places that whites went and then when you went to the same places whites went you had to go in the back door. I know you had to feel bad that your teacher gave your award that you worked so hard for to a white student just because your skin color was different from the other student but I know you were glad that you had parents that supported you and they wanted to make sure you got the award that you worked so hard for.

    Jannell

    ReplyDelete